KIDRON A beet weighing in at a whopping 19 pounds and 4 ounces won for largest Lutz beet Oct. 19 at the 11th annual Kidron Red Beet Festival at Sonnenberg Village just outside of Kidron.
Keith and Bev Schloneger originated the Beet Festival 11 years ago when they discovered beet seed for the Swiss Lutz Beet, according to Ray Leisy, project manager at Sonnenberg Village. They bought seeds from Switzerland and shared them with friends and customers. The next year, many brought their beets to the Schlonegers to show them how big they could grow and the contest and festival took off from there.
At the Oct. 19 festival, which included music, food, tours of buildings and more, Judie Nussbaum of Kidron, was the winner of the largest beet. Other winners included:
- Largest Organic Lutz Beet (pounds): Dan Gerber, Dalton;
- Most Luscious Lutz Beet: Judi Nussbaum, Kidron;
- Best Heirloom Beet: Allyson Leisy, Wooster;
- Best Appetizer/Side Dish (using beets): Johanna Badertscher, Kidron;
- Best Salad (using beets): Marianne Cameron, Dalton;
- Best Dessert (using beets): Johanna Badertscher, Kidron.