DALTON An evacuation and shelter-in-place order was lifted by 7 a.m. Saturday. People continued to be asked to avoid the area.
Village residents within 1,000 square feet of MARS Horsecare, 330 E. Schultz Ave. which had a fire Friday afternoon, were asked to evacuate that evening.
Dalton Police, Wayne County Sheriff’s deputies, and representatives from various fire departments went door to door Friday evening asking people to evacuate because of the risk of an explosion of a methanol tank. The K building at 100 Kurzen Road and the Red Cross assisted people.
Both Mayor Dennis Finley and Police Chief Ryan Pearson said the village evacuated residents near the facility as a precautionary measure because the risk of an explosion. Other residents were asked to shelter in place.
“It’s been a total team effort with everyone all pulling together,” Finley said.
He noted the coordinated effort with numerous fire departments throughout the area, the command center from Emergency Management and resources from other communities. Akron Fire Department assisted with special equipment.
Fire broke out late Friday afternoon at MARS Horsecare and numerous fire departments responded. No injuries were reported.