DGKN staff report
Wayne County Public Library is gearing up for a full summer of fun, including in-person programs for all ages, with many indoor and outdoor family programs. Programs will feature a variety of activities for everyone; crafts, science, emerging technology, scavenger hunts, literacy, and more. The fun begins May 31 with the 2022 Summer Reading Club, “Oceans of Possibilities”. Children and teens earn a new book of their choice for their reading time, with a free book for every five hours they read, up to 20 hours. Children who read 25 hours or more will be entered into a drawing to win a private party on WCPL’s Bookmobile. Teens who read are entered into bi-weekly drawings for gift cards, with a grand prize drawing of a $100 gift card for teens that read at least 100 hours. Kids and teens can join any time between May 31 and July 30. Visit your local branch library to enroll, download the Beanstack app, or participate online at wcpl.beanstack.org.
* Super Summer Specials! Programs at the outdoor Streeter Auditorium at the Secrest Arboretum, 2122 Williams Road, Wooster. Everyone is welcome and no registration is required. At 10 a.m. June 28, look for the “Splash Circus” a water themed, comedy and juggling show. At 6:30 p.m., join in for “Outback Ray’s Amazing Animal Show.” At 11 a.m., July 27, meet a wolf at “Wolves: Facts V. Myth.” Later that evening meet some scaly friends at 6:30 p.m. at the “Realm of the Reptile Show.”
* CRESTON BRANCH: Start the summer at the “Summer Reading Club Kick-Off Tie-Dye Event” 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday, May 31. Ages 7 – 12 can brush up on their snack making skills at “Kids in the Kitchen” at 3 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 4. Teens and adults can create crafts 6 p.m., Tuesday, June 21 at “Book Bricks: Painting Pavers.”
* DALTON BRANCH: “Sail the Seven Seas” with Dr. Dave of the Whiz Bang Science Show at 10:30 a.m. June 7 at Village Green Park. Also, at the Village Green Park visit with some aquatic animals at the “Akron Zoo Show” 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 19.
* DOYLESTOWN: Pick up a “Summer Bucket List” and see how many activities you can complete in June and July! Celebrate “Shark Week!” the entire week of July 10 with crafts and activities. Teens can create a “Repurposed No-Sew T-Shirt Tote Bag” at 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 21.
* RITTMAN: Kids ages 5 and up can create an “Ocean Scene” 4 p.m. Tuesday June 7. Tweens
and teens can get crafty and create “Sea Glass Jars” at 4 p.m. Tuesday July 12.
* SHREVE: Join the Ohio Bird Sanctuary to learn all about “Birds of Prey!” at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, July 16. If you are a fan of dinosaurs you will want to attend the “Tea Rex Tea Party PICNIC” at 1 p.m. Friday, June 10. Teens can get hands on and create “Sea Glass Windchimes” at 1 p.m. Tuesday, June 14.
* WEST SALEM: Patrons can join the library at the Firefighter Festival 3-5 p.m. June 25 to “Tie Dye at the Festival.” On Saturdays June 11, July 9, and August 13 stop by the library to pick up a “Take It & Make It” kit.
* WOOSTER: “Farm Animals at the Library” 10 a.m. Thursday, June 9. Kids 5 years old and older can check out the inside of a whale 10 a.m.-noon on Wednesday, June 15 with the “Whalemobile.” Families can join the library for “Wooster-lympics” 3:30-5 p.m. Thursday, June 16. There’s plenty of fun for adults and teens too! Test your skills at “Blackbeard’s Treasure Escape Room” July 5 at 5:30, 6:15, or 7 p.m. or on July 6 at 2, 3, or 4 p.m.
Learn the “Story of the Buckeye Book Fair” on July 25 at 6:30 p.m., July 26 at 2 p.m., July 27 at 2 p.m., or July 28 at 10 a.m.. You can also listen, and decide at “Have you seen a Yeti, Yowie, Hibagon, or Bigfoot Before? Bigfoot in Ohio and Beyond” at 6:30 p.m. June 7.
Most programs require pre-registration and have limited space. Please check with your local
branch or check the library website at wcpl.info for more information about these or the many other activities at WCPL this summer.