DGKN staff report
DALTON Several area crews responded to a fire late Friday afternoon at MARS Horsecare.
Village residents within 1,000 square feet of MARS Horsecare, 330 E. Schultz Ave. were asked to evacuate Friday night. The evacuation and shelter in place order was lifted by 7 a.m. Saturday.
Dalton Police, Wayne County Sheriff’s deputies, and representatives from various fire departments are going door to door Friday evening asking people to evacuate because of the risk of an explosion of a methanol tank. The K building and the Red Cross will be assisting people and cots and courtesy bags will be set up at The K, 100 Kurzen Road. Residents may have to spend the night at The K center.
Both Mayor Dennis Finley and Police Chief Ryan Pearson said the village is evacuating residents near the facility as a precautionary measure because the risk of an explosion. Other residents may be asked to shelter in place.
“It’s been a total team effort with everyone all pulling together,” Finley said.
He noted the coordinated effort with numerous fire departments throughout the area, the command center from Emergency Management and resources from other communities. Akron Fire Department assisted with special equipment.
Fire broke out late Friday afternoon at MARS Horsecare and numerous fire departments responded. No injuries were reported.